Friday, October 12, 2012

Little Woolly Jumpers





Hello! Meet Rocco and Lulu, the sweetest new additions to our ever growing Menagerie of farm animals. 

They are 2 week old Poll Dorsets, both orphaned as a result of being born as part of a set of triplets. We inherited them 2 days ago when our friends were worried about them being poisoned by their Rhododendrons but didn't want them destined for the dinner plate. I assured them we would give them a good home and keep them separate from our other sheep which do keep our deep freezer stocked for Sunday Roasts. Since we are now raising and eating our own Lamb and having detailed discussion about all the bits and pieces around the dinner table, the Kids were very blunt in their questioning when these little lambs arrived -  "Mum, are we going to eat these?".  Their matter-of-factness is both refreshing and disturbing at the same time isn't it? But no, these little woolly jumpers will be pets. They have names after all and I'm completely OK about keeping animals as both pets and for eating.

Their arrival has caused quite a stir though and I've spent the last 2 days trying to restore an appropriate pecking order amongst the animals again.  The ducks get into a flap when the lambs come over to say 'hi' which causes the Whippet to chase after the lambs which causes me to chase after the Whippet. The Chooks all get their feathers ruffled as they are invariably caught amongst the commotion. This happens all day long. The lambs also scratch at the door to come inside the house and the Whippet scratches at the door to go out. This happens all day long too. This morning the lambs just waltzed inside the house and tap tapped across the new floor as if they were wearing clogs and made themselves at home on the leather lounge. It's been crazy around here! I'm hoping order will be restored over the weekend.

However, we do love them to bits. How could you not! They are very affectionate little souls and as they are still on 3 milk feeds a day the Kids absolutely delight in feeding them. Although I do predict my daisies will be in for a rather thorough pruning by the time the weekend is over!

Speaking of little wooly jumpers, I have just finished my first little baby knit, a striped boatneck jumper. It's actually the first item of clothing I've ever knitted for one of my own babies and I loved every minute of it. I found the pattern while sitting in my Obstetricians waiting room the other week. It was in one of the latest Women's Mags and looked simple enough so I promptly took a photo of the page (as you do) on my iPhone. It was an extract from the book What to Knit When You're Expecting by Nikki Van Der Car and I have to say the combination of Moss Stitch and Stockinette Stitch is so lovely that I may even make another but as a Vest instead of a jumper with the leftover ball of wool.

I splashed out on some nice wool for the very first time too, and used the DK Rowan Felted Tweed in 'Maritime' and 'Clay'. I wanted more of a Sea Foam colour but there wasn't any in stock and I wasn't patient enough to wait. However, I actually love these colours on babies regardless of whether it is for a boy or girl and I think I can always add a little crochet flower to it if I do end up having a girl and feel it looks too boyish.

Since I started knitting again this year I felt like I couldn't justify spending money on nice wool being a beginner knitter and all but now I think I'll never be able to go back to the regular stuff as using this lovely yarn added a whole new level of enjoyment to my knitting. Does this mean I'm a knitting snob now? I'm not sure but it does mean this little hobby may not be the inexpensive hobby I thought it would be.


Have a wonderful weekend everyone!


32 comments :

  1. I'm not sure who is cuter, those adorable lambs or your children!
    Gorgeous little jumper, I do wish I could knit!
    Spring in Tasmania is just lovely, isn't it?
    Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stella, thanks for stopping by! I'm looking forward to reading your Blog. I love history too and yes Spring is a lovely season down here :-)

      Delete
  2. That is so cute - the lamb loving and the little sweater. And you are simply discovering what all knitters do in the end, that the good stuff is what makes knitting an art. If you think about it knitting was invented for natural fibres, not acrylics and such! Of course if you keep the right sheep you could have roasts and sweaters ;)

    The postal service from Tas to the UK is clearly much better than in the opposite direction as my buttons have arrived! Thank you so much Mel, I love them and now need to think of a knit deserving of them :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That really is amazing Annie as I'm sure I only popped them in the mail yesterday! So glad you like them. And now you have me seriously thinking of sheep breeds and I may need to get a goat for the cashmere :-D

      Delete
  3. I loved this post! Every little bit of it! Your children are gorgeous, those lambs are to die for, and the jumper you've knitted is too beautiful. Buy the best wool you can, or shave those two new pets of yours and get yourself a spinning wheel. To hell with it, get yourself some alpacas!xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE alpacas! They are quite expensive though. One day.....

      Delete
  4. Hi Mel
    Have just come across your blog - it's just awesome :). Love your wee knit, the colours are great. Tasmania is on my list of places to visit, it looks wonderful. All the best ifs the new arrival. Look forward to all your blog posts. Take care.
    Vicky (NZ)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh - the sweetness here is killing me.
    Too cute - the lambs and your gorgeous creation.
    :-) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh My! Those lambs, the children, the jumper!!! It will be overwhelming when the new one is thrown into the mix!
    The lovely yarns are well worth it for the beautiful things, especially newborns.
    I love the look of sheer panic on your son's face at the sight of the lamb's empty bottle.
    I'm with Carmel. Spinning and dyeing next. That's Annie's forte!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm telling the kids not to panic when the lambs empty the bottle as the lambs are no different to the kids really-hungry all day long even though they've had enough :-)

      Delete
  7. A lot of oooing and aaahing while reading this post. How cute are those lambs. I loved that they welcomed themselves inside and onto the lounge. It sounds like you've had a couple of busy days trying to tame the animals. A lot of activity, fantastic.
    The jumper is so, so cute too. It would be gorgeous as a vest as well. I know what you mean about buying wool. I mainly purchase mass produced wool but now that I am getting more confident, and appreciate the work involved in knitting or crocheting something, I have also thought of buying better quality wool. I don't think it makes you a snob, more appreciative of the craft.
    Have a wonderful weekend Mel.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. That lovely knit is amazing! I am so impressed with your knitting skills, you are so not a beginning knitter! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the giggle..I just loved reading about those little lamb hooves clicking over your wooden floors and onto your sofa! I can just imagine the chaos with all those animals vying for attention and chasing one another...still laughing about it all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous - the lamb and jumpers both. I'm sure you're not a knit snob, but well it is nice to work with the good stuff isn't it! Your wee jumper is so sweet, can't wait to see it being worn. I'm guessing it's been extra cold down your way at the moment too Mel? cheers Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh they are gorgeous, we have a three week old lamb, abandoned from the neighbours sheep, i have been bottle feeding lots, I haven't had lambs before.x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a delightful, sunshiney post, Mel. Your knitting prowess is most admirable. Love shopping at The Stash! J x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that vision of the lambs tap tapping across the room and making themselves at home on the lounge too. Perhaps they will be trotting off to school next for show and tell? Your knitting is excellent, definitely beyond beginner. mel x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Mel, those pics of the little lambs... melt my heart! They're absolutely beautiful. The little bubba jumper is equally as beautiful. You always make me cluck cluck cluck ;) Looks like some lovely times ahead nurturing and loving those new pets xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooo and I love your profile pic, gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. All of the woolly jumpers are gorgeous, including the one you knitted! My daughter just popped her head in and asked if we could get some lambs too!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Gorgeous!
    Rocco and Lulu look incredibly sweet in your beautiful images.
    It would be great for them to earn their keep with a few balls of yarn to keep your talents going ;-)
    Such a great blog
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, those little baby lambs are so totally adorable. I LOL'd at the description of everyone in the yard chasing each other - you should put it in a children's book! Congrats on the baby jumper, it's very cute. Isn't it amazing the difference using quality materials makes! Not cheap, but it will last and last and last I'm sure. Of course, spinning your own fleece will just add to the fun, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just gorgeous. Can readily relate to having pets as pets and others as dinner. It gives the kids a far greater appreciation of life and the great cycle of nature. How's that baby coming along? We must be getting closer.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mel this just made me smile so much. You've got house lambs and that is just a little bit cool! They look so comfortable inside, your poor old whippet. Do you think they might learn to snuggle together. (and I love that your kids asked whether you were going to eat them.)

    as for your knitting... are you sure you are just a beginner??! Gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mel, thanks for visiting me, yes I deliberated for a ridiculous period of time on white paint. Finally went with plain old completely untinted dulux vivid white. We love wood and we have a lot of art and as there is no tint it really makes both pure wood and colourful art work stand out. We went with semigloss finish as we have vj's and it also creates a beautiful sheen but not sure what your walls are so you might want the usual low sheen wash and wear. hopes this helps, mel x

    ReplyDelete
  22. The lambs are so cute, I miss living in the country!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mel those lambs are so very sweet and you've described your days so well I can see a picture so vividly of animals going in and out all day long and ducks getting in a flutter, sounds like lots of fun:) I love love that gorgeous knitted jumper, you are so clever Mel. When you see your little bub wearing it you will get filled with lots of joy, I love nice wool too and cotton:) xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Mel, I found your blog through Sharon at My Front Porch. What beautiful lambs and very kind of you to rescue them. Looking forward to reading your posts, I'm one of your newest followers. Heather

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh Mel, those lambs are adorable!! I can picture now you with your expanding belly, four children and all those animals... such a glorious vision :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. the jumper is divine and i am completely in love with your lambs. i can only imagine the joy they must bring to your family. nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Soooooooogorgeous!!!! Those lambs are divine!! Afraid I can't even finger knit...

    ReplyDelete