Thursday, April 25, 2013

Diddlysquat - otherwise known as nothing.





After a picturesque drive through country Victoria and the vineyards of South Australia, we began the 13 hour drive up through the centre of Australia. It's a 2 day journey on a straight road and extremely isolated. There's hardly anything between you and the horizon for 2 days straight. Nothing. Nada. Not a cracker. Diddlysquat. It's an exceptionally beautiful journey though. The red dirt, the salt bush and the sheer nothingness as far as the eye can see is mesmerising. The vastness of the country is truly palpable on this drive, something you really have to experience firsthand to appreciate I think. 

There is a petrol station every 200 to 250km but nothing else in between other than these rest areas - which occasionally featured a garbage bin and a cleared space big enough for an impromptu soccer match while I fed Flynn.





The Kids travelled so well.  We decided to make the journey up to Alice Springs quicker on the way while everyone was happy in the car and then we could really relax when we got there and then on the way back we will take it much slower and spend some time along the Great Ocean Road. 

Flynn is 4 and a half months old and I think we really snuck this trip in at an optimal time to travel with a baby. He is still 100% breastfed which is really convenient while travelling as there was no need to prepare and mash up food. He is still on 3 predictable naps during the day too so happily nodded off in the car when he got tired. We pulled off to the side of the road when he woke up from his naps and wanted a feed and then he was quite happy being back in his capsule with the 2 bigger kids on either side of him keeping him entertained. The actual time he was awake in the car was quite minimal. I can't imagine him being cooped up in his capsule for much longer. 

It was a far from quiet journey. There was lots of lively chatter in the car. The twins occupied the back seat and we managed to pick up a bucket of Lego from an op shop on the way which kept them happy for hours. The bigger kids were in the middle row and chatted, played Uno, Car Cricket, there was a new game where they have to make each other laugh, as well as many an hour gazing out the window. 



Halfway along the 2 day stretch you come to the largest Opal Mining town in the World where everything including the majority of the homes are underground. Now, I know I gave Coober Pedy a bad rap when we travelled along this stretch on our trip around Australia last year but we did have the most bazaar experience which you can read about here. It is a very different sort of place but the locals are extremely welcoming, some of them we talked to moved to Coober Pedy from the Greek Isles for a better life, if you can imagine. And this time around, with a tribe of dedicated Minecraft fans, this place was heaven on a stick with all it's underground mines and talk of caves, gems, pick-axes and rocks.





I still didn't feel safe sleeping in a tent though so we stayed in the only place that could fit us all in and that was a vacant, underground 20-bed Backpacker dorm. 





We enjoyed a fabulous dinner at Tom & Mary's Greek Taverna (as you do in Outback Australia) and Eleanor was especially pleased that the Tooth Fairy was still able to visit underground, leaving a couple of rough opals instead of a 50 cent coin. 

We had another day of driving the following morning, spotting a couple of Wedge-Tailed Eagles and a rare Dingo sighting before finally arriving in Alice Springs. 




The Kids were clearly very happy at the prospect of a 7-day break from the car while we take in some sights of the Red Centre. I hope you are all having a lovely week.

Mel x

PS All photos were taken on the iPhone so apologies to anyone following along on Instagram who may have already seen many of these shots. 

29 comments :

  1. Happy holidays to you Mel. You know what delights me the most ... no in-car DVD player!
    I'm afraid I'm old-school. Here's to I-Spy and sibling brawls, necessary ingredients of the perfect travelling holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that 'the tooth fairy' gave Eleanor rough opal instead of a coin..very creative! She'll remember losing that particular tooth in the outback.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pictures. So beautiful and interesting I have never seen so much flat land in person. And underground bunk that must have been fun. Everything looks so nice there. Thanks for the pictures it allows me to see a part of the world I will probally never get to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...it looks amazing! Your kids are a really credit to you! We are loving Minecraft here too both the girls are busy creating their own worlds....looking forward to reading more! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. You crazy adventurers! I can barely manage the 90 minute trip to Sydney with my kids in the car! Enjoy the rest of your holiday x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, that first photo of the blue sky and open road...amazing! I visited Australia as a teen and still remember being struck by the sheer vastness of central Australia. So glad your kids are travelling well. Although I'm not sure I fancy the look of that underground dorm... xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. At least everyone could sleep on the top bunk. I hope you are having a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved reading this Mel, felt like I was there in that car with you. Such an interesting read and sounds like such an interesting spot to stop at :) Enjoy those car-free days ahead! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. That "nothingness" is so completely beautiful! You guys are brave though.. I am not sure I could ever feel comfortable knowing that there is so much distance between us and the next petrol station and well, nothing.
    I hope you're all enjoying it..!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was a fascinating post! It is hard for my Canadian mind to wrap itself around things like an opal mining town and underground houses. Your pictures were wonderful. I am looking forward to the next leg of your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow what a journey! Those photos are amazing. So different from the UK. I'd love to be able to see that expanse of 'wilderness'.

    Your children must be very well behaved. I'm not sure my boys would last without killing each other!!

    Enjoy Alice Springs. (I've always had romantic notions about the name).

    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had never even heard of Coober Pedy, how fascinating! Kudos to you all for surviving the car trip! We try to do a lot of traveling at night with the boys, but that doesn't leave much in the form of scenery for us to see, and even then they sometimes choose to spend large amounts of time awake. Maybe another few years and we'll find the 12 hour drives north a little easier.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This all looks amazing Mel, I've heard of Coober Pedy but didn't know much about it. We have a couple of minecraft fans here so they'd love it, and 2 rough opals from the tooth fairy is something she'll never forget. Enjoy! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an amazing journey ... your photos are stunning ... not sure I could sleep in that underground dorm though ... I am a little too claustrophobic ... looking forward to more updates of your adventures ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gosh the landscape is amazing.
    The furthest inland i have travellied is Brewarrina but would one day love to travel more in the future.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  16. That landscape is incredible! Sounds like you guys are having a great time! xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous photos mel and that underground hotel looks incredible. Your children are seriously freakishly amazing with their travel behaviour. I will just stick to one hour journeys for the time being but it is nice to live vicariously through your posts! mel x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Diddleysquat! Best word ever!!
    Your images make me feel like I'm on holiday too....thankyou x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm enjoying your holiday Mel! Hope you're all having a lovely time! xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Um, what the?! This trip looks amazing and I must say I was completely confused and had to go back and read over it again... as I thought this was a story from your around Australia adventure... thinking there was no way you could be doing something so adventurous with a newborn, right now! Wow, you guys are amazing, constantly inspiring me with your lovely stories. Looks like THE best road trip for kids ever. So many happy memories Mel, enjoy the rest of the journey and thanks for sharing it all with us xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Some great pictures of your fabulous trip there Mel. I love the never ending horizons of the outback. Have a great time in the Red Centre; what a fabulous holiday for you all. You'll be down my way on the Great Ocean Rd, I'll keep my eye out for you! ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks like a fab trip Mel ... I would so love to visit the red centre, but I'm guessing even in April it's hot?

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love these photos! It looks as if it was a splendid adventure! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. Now I know yours is here and I am following along! xo

    ReplyDelete
  24. What amazing photos of the landscape! Such a gorgeous country you live in, and how wonderful that you're exposing your kids to such much of it. We used to play games in the car when we travelled north where we had good opportunities to spot lots of wildlife ... you got points depending on how rare/big the animal was ... lots of fun. I think the dingo would've got 100 points! The underground town sounds so strange, and I don't quite understand why they ARE underground, but am guessing it's because of the heat?(must google!). And what is that Star Wars looking machine, is it something for mining or a movie set?! Your kids must be having such a great time, and I envy all of you your break from routine to do something so amazing. Enjoy your stay in Alice Springs area, and I look forward to your next update! Take care! Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  25. gorgeous photos, I've watched one too many horror movies and the thought of driving through central australia scares the crap out of me for that nothingness, but your photos look divine and could almost convince me otherwise. lol. enjoy your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What an amazing 'amazing!' place - I can't imagine the whole distance of it, but it looks totally awesome.

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Such an amazing trip to do with the kids Mel, (they are incredibly lucky to have you and the piano man as parents :-)
    I still haven't seen that part of Australia...one day, one day.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great photos - you all look like you're having a great time. I am still scratching my head as to how you are travelling across the country with 5 kids in one car! Please tell me there is the odd tantrum (so I can feel normal). xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. i don't know how i missed this mel, but i was mesmerized. i don't think i've ever scrolled through photos as slowly as i have your last two posts. what an incredible trip, it looks like africa in a way, so vast and remote. i would LOVE so much to do this, and perhaps someday we will. your children are such good travelers, but i know that has much to do (everything probably) with you and the pianoman. wonderful wonderful post, thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete