Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Easter Long Weekend

For one reason or another, the Easter Post I had planned for last week didn't quite eventuate, so a very belated Happy Easter to you all! I hope you had a great weekend.

We had a wonderful few days. Whilst the children and I spent last Thursday enjoying the first day of School Holidays recuperating after a very busy Term 1, Daniel went game fishing with the lads to celebrate Nate's Birthday. 

They caught a big one!


Good Friday was spent preparing and feasting on the above Tuna - Brandy flambeed Tuna with cream sauce. 

There was also the baking of Hot Cross Buns, with a 4:3 vote in favour of using choc chips instead of Sultanas/Raisons. The glaze was slapped on them while still on the tray and a quick photo taken before they were demolished within seconds.


We decided to walk off the excess chocolate in advance of Easter and enjoyed a lovely walk on Mt Wellington to Silver Falls on Saturday.




The Graffiti was legible and thought-provoking.



The highlight of the walk being the discovery of this village of Toadstools. Aren't they amazing? I saw one of these red fairytale mushrooms in Canada once but had no idea that we had them in this country. 

The sight provoked a group happy dance.


Another happy dance was done that evening when the Easter Bunny decided she better start the Easter shopping and discovered not only were there still Lindt Gold Bunnies and almost-expired Cadbury's mini eggs left at the discount store, but also 4 different coloured baby chicks. I don't know about you but as soon as I saw them I felt compelled to buy a different colour for each child (except for Flynn who would just want to eat them) and arrange them into the nests I made last year, like so.... 



Easter Sunday was a very casual affair consisting of a scavenger hunt in the pine trees and the eating of copious amounts of chocolate. Not a single Easter craft in sight this year. I felt a bit slack, but no one seemed to notice or care and I just didn't see the need when the handmade toys I made them last year were still going strong.

Luckily, the chicks in the nest were a triumph!


We took a drive on Monday to historic Oatlands and spent some time walking around the town, visiting the historic sites and playing down by the river. 

It's one of those towns on the highway between Hobart and Launceston that you need to take an exit to get to and in all my 14 years of living in Tasmania and driving along that road, I had never taken that exit. I'm so glad we finally did as it was just gorgeous.









There's a possibility of a little weekend away camping for the ANZAC Day long weekend if the weather plays nice but other than that I'm looking forward to spending the next 2 weeks of School Holidays just relaxing at home and letting everyone recharge the batteries. Hopefully, some reading and knitting will feature too.

Have a great week!

Mel xxx

32 comments :

  1. Beautiful post Mel, and lovely pictures :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a lovely Easter Break. I'm hoping the weather is nice this coming weekend also, but a weekend at home pottering about wouldn't be such a bad thing either. Gorgeous photos. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog is most certainly a 'sip a coffee and snuggle down and read' type. I always get a warm feeling after enjoying your words and pictures.

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mel,
    I have junk shop chair envy! I already have too many chairs, but that picture has just fueled my mania for more. It looks and sounds like a lovely time was had by all. We love fishing here, and have a very small boat to pootle around the bay in. Mostly we fish off the rocks. Alfie is the lucky fisherman who scores the big ones. Enjoy your jollies with the kids. Mine went back to school and college yesterday, and Pops is at nursery today. I should be doing housework, but I think I shall walk into own instead!
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. That fish looks huge and a big grin to match as well. Your hot cross bins look great. Even though I'm a choc-o-holic I am in favour of the traditional hit cross buns. The rustic buildings look amazing too. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder if red mushies would be over here. I might need to go walking and looking for fairies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Easter. You were so productive! Ours mostly consisted of several easter egg hunts and various meals with our families. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK so that fish makes the fish in our dam look puny. I do think we need to chuck the kids in the car and come for a drive to Tassie sometime when I see photos like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello! Just paying a return visit (the first of many, no doubt)... I love your photos, especially the mushrooms (think they're Flyagaric - highly hallucinogenic, probably why they appear in so many fairy tales!) and that antique shop would be hard for me to resist visiting.
    It's nice to visit blogs from all over the globe. You get to see all these new places but also spot some similarities with home too.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Easter looks wonderful. I love the photo of the mushrooms, I've never seen those in real life either and I would love to someday! Your photo is very nice. That's some fish! He must have been proud. I bought some leftover chocolate and jellybeans yesterday, everything was so cheap after the holiday. I don't need more chocolate but I couldn't resist!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful Easter! The little coloured chicks in the nests are adorable. So is the hat Flynn is wearing in the picture of him in the backpack. I've been thinking of knitting that one for Lucy. Does it stay on his head fairly well?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have you caught your breath yet?! You always sound like you're in a bit of a whirlwind down there ;) What a HUGE tuna!! Makes our tiny 6" catches seem fairly dismal. What a great photo of the red toadstools ... I've seen them here in our woods, but not in such a nice big grouping. And that beautiful wood frame, striped upholstered chair?! Just send it COD to me ;) Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thought those toadstools only existed in fairytales, how exciting for the kids to discover.
    Enjoy the holidays Mel, we're back to school already and looking forward to the next.

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh wow mel! awesome times, looks like so much fun. that fish is huge! i love all your photos, the toadstool one best, what a find! happy easter week to you and your beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The toadstools are amazing, I have never seen that many in one place. I like casual Easter celebrations and have long given up decorating the house because as long as there is chocolate, everybody is happy. I would love visiting the antiques shop, and go on a long walk with you to explore the Tasmanian outdoors. It is just beautiful. I spent 6 weeks in Tasmania many many years ago and loved it very much. I hope you get to eat this magnificent tuna! Enjoy your holidays. Cx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm sure there is supposed to be a little tiny person with a teeny tiny red pointy hat underneath one of those toadstools...how could there not be?!
    Oatlands I would love to visit one day. It looks lovely, every picture I've seen...isn't that where the mill is?? I sent my parents in law there to a B and B which they loved. (What a good daughter in law I am :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are just beginning your holidays as we've just ended ours...but it's nice to see the mirroring of childhood, nature, family and food in our lives Mel! Who cares about Easter crafting when you have neon fluffy chicks?! They are fab, and I love the little nests you created. It looks like a fabulous weekend all in all - I hope you're enjoying the first week of the holidays. xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful way to spend your school holidays! Tasmania is one of my favourite places, I'd move there if I could! We visited Oatlands on our honeymoon in Tassie, it's a lovely little place. It's also where my favourite sandals broke! lol Your photos are beautiul, and those hot cross buns look delicious. Enjoy the rest of your holidays x

    ReplyDelete
  19. It sounds like you guys had a lovely Easter weekend - I know what you mean about Oatlands. I can't tell you how many times I've been past (all those trips in between home and uni) and it took a school camp (as a teacher, not a student) to get me there for the first time a few years ago. What I really need to do though, is visit again, sans twenty 15 year olds!

    ReplyDelete
  20. There's a lot to be said for recharging and home on holidays. The kids love it and it does not require packing.
    Your chicks are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful. I hope your holidays were just as you hoped they would be and that you get that ANZAC day getaway! We're going away too, just for a night, to Byron Bay. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. It looks like you've stepped into a fairytale here! What is winter like in Tasmania? My friend and I are thinking of planning a trip there

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous photos Mel, those hot cross buns look amazing and that fish...those toadstools...the chairs and little Flynn's beanie!! Looks like lots of adventures were had!! Your stories and photos keep moving Tassie up on my list of places to go...one day! x Dre

    ReplyDelete
  24. A lovely post full of delights- from the huge tuna and fantastic hot cross buns (I'm not surprised they were demolished in seconds!) to those amazing red toolstools, what a find! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful photos Mel, I'm playing catch up! You have been busy. Tasmania looks so stunning. xo

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a gorgeous Easter ... neon chicks in nests would be well received here too and your bird photo is just beautiful ... have a lovely weekend ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy Easter Mel, It looks like Tassie put on a beautiful show for you, those toadstools are magical.
    what a blessing to be able to give your kids such space!
    Enjoy the hols, and hopefully a spot of knitting x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi there, just catching up. Looks as though you have been having a great time with all that you have been getting up to. Hope that you enjoy the rest of the holidays and that more immediately you are having a good weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. the toadstools are spectacular as it your Mr's fish. One to brag about, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sounds like a great Easter to me, love the toadstools- were you in fairyland??
    And the final 6 photos look like you're in the UK with the dry stone wall & cottage; the river view looks like you're just down the road from my house!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I just adore this post Mel, your photos are beautiful and I loved reading about how your family spent Easter. No crafts here this year either so I am impressed with your chicks in their nests. And I am still envious of those perfect looking hot cross buns! xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh I loved Oatlands when we visited the gorgy Tasmania. Such a sweet little town. Actually, there aren't many palces in Tassie that aren't sweet:) x

    ReplyDelete