Monday, September 22, 2014

Fiji



Hello.

We slipped away to Fiji for a much needed family holiday. 

With all the plants in the ground and the promise of a very busy Summer awaiting us here at home we decided now was a good time to recharge the batteries and digest all that has happened over the past year. 

It was amazing - gorgeous weather, white sandy beaches, crystal clear water, snorkelling with Nemo, Dory and all the other Sweetlips,  and being looked after by the friendliest folk on the planet.

We stayed out on Plantation Island, a solid 3-star resort - nothing fancy, a bit "tired" if you want to chime in with the negative nellies on Tripadvisor, but perfect for families with kids in our age bracket. There was so much to do yet you could do absolutely nothing too. The resort is really spread out and we had our own private 3 room Bure which was quite secluded. I think travelling outside of school holidays was a very good idea. 

The ocean water park was a hit with the Kids. We could supervise whilst sipping on our Pina Coladas from the deck chairs. The 4 older Kids enjoyed the freedom of cavorting around the island on their own for small amounts of time too.  Flynn slept for a good 2-3 hours every day so that was when I got to sit in the hammock and truly relax. 

I was totally strung out by the time we arrived in Fiji and I think it took 8 days to really hit that "zen" mode.  I managed to read an entire book during my hammock time - Tim Winton's "Eyrie" which I thoroughly enjoyed but I'm waiting for Daniel to finish it so we can "workshop" the abrupt ending. 

A great time was had by all and not even the 5 hour flight home with Flynn using our thighs as trampolines could completely undo the relaxation brought on by all that "Fiji-time". 

I've had quite a few breaks from technology lately, which has been good but I'd like to spend more time in this space. I've tarted up the blog a little to re-spark my enthusiasm, enlisting the help of Katrina to tweak some of the formatting that has been annoying me for only 3 years. Perhaps I'll get round to the "About Me" page soon as well.

Thank you so much for sticking around and for all your lovely comments of late. I'm looking forward to catching up on all your news!

Have a great week!

22 comments :

  1. I think that was a very good idea to "may hay while the sun shines so to speak" Looks like an amazing place and I loved the Coconut Tree/Palm Tree with the clock on it. My kids would love that slide. A holiday away is great to reset the family again. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! Looks like a perfect getaway! So glad you had a great time away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my oh my, What a beauty. I have never seen sea/ocean except in movies only.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks and sounds just blissful. Fiji is great for families as is Rarotonga if you ever get the chance. Your photos are beautiful. Much love to you all Mel xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fiji looks fabulous, the colour of the sea is just beautiful, glad you managed a great family getaway, Mel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We went to Fiji for our honeymoon and loved it. Sooooo relaxing. Glad you all had a good break.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous pics Mel, and what an amazing place! We're just back from a holiday of our own, although ours was nothing like as exotic! It was special in it's own way though. I totally agree that you need a week to unwind enough to really benefit from the rest of a getaway. Long may the laid back feeling continue for both of us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh it all looks glorious Mel, especially the way you take photos. Glad to hear you actually had a rest too! Flynn is adorable btw. mel x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the nice clean look of the blog, but that hammock I really like the look of. No matter how many weeks away we have, I always want more. Fiji keeps coming up in my sight these days...I think it's a sign...yes?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, it really is as beautiful as I imagine that it would be!!! Your pictures are so lovely, and I am so glad that you had a break and had such a good time!!! A brilliant idea to take a break now so that you are fully charged up for the busy year you have ahead!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks lovely! I never understood how important the words 'family friendly' could be until I had children! I'm having the opposite kind of escape soon, heading to a farm stay in the country with my sister and three little ones, to watch the cows get milked, collect the eggs and drink tea and chat. Can't wait! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. how fantastic mel!! all your gorgeous babies on holiday together! i love fiji too, would love to go back with our grown kids. i am kind of envious of your blog redo, mine is in such need (i also would like a holiday in a hammock!). take good care, hope the feeling of vacation lasts!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks absolutely glorious! And so encouraging given you have a big family - I was beginning to think our future would be limited to camping from now on, haha! Good to hear you found that true relaxation head-space! X

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful, what wonderful memories! Thinking I want to go to Fiji now!
    Just awarded you:)
    http://sevenlittleaustralians.blogspot.com.au/2014/09/ive-been-awarded-twice.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wowsers! Nice pics Mel, what a beautiful family escape. I hear so many good things about Fiji...love your comment about negative nellies, there are a lot of those in the online world, what's with that!? Your gorgeous bubba looks incredibly like you, that's who I see in him anyway :) Sounds idyllic, laying in a hammock reading a Tim Winton novel, one of my absolute fave authors. I've had yet another break away from blogging recently too, it is SO hard to keep up, but I'll try...so worth it to read blogs like yours :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. It sounds perfect, you've had 'our kind of holiday' sun , sea and a spot of relaxation . We always need to be next to the sea and it must be one that's good for swimming and snorkeling .

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful Mel. I wonder if I could convince the husband this is where we need to go.
    Absolutely stunning pics, not just in this post but all the other ones I'm catching up on as well. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm dreaming of Fiji again....hopefully next year
    Gorgeous pics Mel
    x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ahhhhhhh, beautiful Fiji. I just have to think about our time there and I'm instantly relaxed. It was perfection. x

    ReplyDelete
  20. So, so ridiculously beautiful!! How is it allowed for one place to be so photogenic?! Seriously, Mel, you've taken some excellent shots here but more importantly you've made some memories and had a chance to truly relax. x

    ReplyDelete