Sunday, October 19, 2014

Spring growth



There's a whole lot of Spring growth going on around here. The flowers are blooming and the bees are buzzing and look at how big our Whippet pup "Rocket" is getting. If only he was as serene at midnight when he gallops onto our bed and takes up his new sleeping position on our heads.

The recently planted trees that looked like sad little sticks poking out of the ground are now either in blossom or covered in leaves. The Strawberries are looking sensational and have fruited and now just needing to ripen. A good number of them are a lovely new variety not widely available and I can't wait to get them into some recipes. I've been inspired in advance of the glut we'll have of Strawberries before the building is ready and have been baking up lots of Strawberry muffins - I popped a couple of choc chips on the top of this batch and they came out looking like faces which thrilled me no end. The fruit hanging off the branches in the photo are the Currants which are coming along nicely and will bush out over time to become an edible hedge along the front boundary.

The shipping containers are multiplying. Five have now been delivered here and will be used as part of the building, more on that later. In the meantime, it provided a nice backdrop for my latest shawl fresh off the needles and dry after overnight blocking. It's my second Follow Your Arrow Shawl by Ysolda Teague which I started 9 months ago as part of the Mystery Knit Along. It was made using the alternate clues I didn't use for the first shawl except for the final clue which was doing my head in and is the reason I set this one aside for 8 months. It feels good to have finished something around here I'm really happy with how it turned out and have realised I have a very strong preference for wearing asymmetrical shawls as this one can be thrown on and wrapped around like a scarf - no gaffing required.

Speaking of growth, all the Kids have had a massive growth spurt lately. They're all legs and arms and Eleanor is wearing size 6 shoes now! Flynn will be 2 next month and is eating as much as the boys, which is an obscene amount. He has joined the others rolling down the hill by the Bridge in Richmond, a tradition that has been going on for almost a decade.

And just to make me feel really old, we now have a kid with Braces. Just how did that happen? Eleanor has the teeth of a 12 year old instead of a 10 year old and so got them earlier than most which is just as well as back in my day the event was accompanied with a training bra, a new nickname - 'Braceface" anyone? -  and a warning to be careful kissing boys who also had braces on in case you got stuck together - a rather scary thought if you're the daughter of a Dentist. I don't think I'm quite ready for all that stuff just yet - jeepers!

18 comments :

  1. Wow, everything is growing at an amazing rate isn't it!!! You must be so excited to see it all coming to life and to know what it will bring in the future. I hope that you have a wonderful spring and summer of growing. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not at all Sue, it is actually the oldest bridge in Australia and Richmond is a very "English" looking village :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'd rather be approaching Spring and Summer than Winter. Although it has been so warm today, I've worked in the garden in just a short sleeved t-shirt. Although it's more than a little blustery. I know it won't last, but it's been lovely to see the sun today. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, look at those strawberries - that didn't take long. Looking forward to sharing more of your spring growth as we descend into autumn and winter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so nice to see signs of spring and summer here whilst we are sitting out an Autumn storm. I am intrigued by the containers! My daughter did ask me yesterday if we could possibly visit Tasmania soon, I tell her about your blog and your adventures and she is intrigued. Look at that puppy! We got our Jack Russell puppy last week, what a whirlwind of life he is. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything looks amazing Mel!! Both the crops and the kids, and you look completely happy. Love the new shawl. Have a great week filled with strawberries :) Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  7. So green, so soon! It all looks great. Your shawl is perfect, I'm very impressed. I'm sure you will wear it so often. I was the first of my friends to get braces, at 11 I think. I was glad a few years later when mine were over and done with and they were just starting. But then I had to have a plate in Yr 12, so lisped my way through my last year of school, boyfriend and all. Here we are counting the days until our younger daughter is rid of her braces, we are over it! She uses them as an excuse not to eat anything that doesn't appeal to her ... Hope the rest of spring is full of more gorgeous growth in your part of the world. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic photos - so much going on in your neck of the woods! Love the photos of your boys with their swords stuffed down the backs of their t-shirts..........it is a familiar scene around here too. Ninja's??? xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your views are just utterly fantastic! They are just so VAST. The little pup is getting long and leggy! Great picture of you with the shawl - it is a really cool design.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, and is this a new blog format? I really like it! Simple, yet elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW, m so happy tat d hard work you have been doing is being rewarded well. God bless u all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow it's just so gorgeous there mel! loved all the pictures, your kids are THE CUTEST! and yay for finishing your shawl, it's lovely. happy spring time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Its good to see everything growing so well including the children! Your trees look so different already! Your post looks so full of joy. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have told my children I am not feeding them this week as I just can't keep up with the new clothes they need...what about me???

    ReplyDelete
  15. So many growing things! Your puppy is no longer a puppy, your plants have started to produce, and oh my, look at that beautiful daughter of yours! As for the knitting, that shawl is gorgeous, and perfectly suits you. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The shawl is gorgeous, Mel. And what exactly have you done to make your photography reach such epic heights of awesomeness? I want! x

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's all looking amazing Mel, probably more amazing now as I'm a good week late with this comment! And I love that shawl!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The shawl is really gorgeous, and you have the perfect backdrop with the container. Aren't the colours and rust rather beautiful? Your farm is looking serious now, I'm so glad everything is growing so well. x

    ReplyDelete