Thursday, February 21, 2013

"Enjoy It, My Dear"





It has been almost 9 years since I've had just one baby in my care. When I was in hospital with my first, I had a visit from an older and wiser friend whose 3 children were all grown up. "Just enjoy it", she said. "Enjoy just having the one baby before you have all the others". I took what she said on board but didn't really understand what she was saying as I sincerely hoped I would enjoy any and all future offspring. What I now think she was trying to say was that you don't really realise how fast the time goes with your first. And this is a shame because it may be the one baby you have that you can devote 100% of your attention to. All the babies that came after my firstborn had a toddler as part of the equation. Having children close together certainly has its advantages but the baby and toddler combination is a real challenge. A lot of people comment on how busy things must be for me with 5 children but I'm quick to say that right now is the easiest time I've had in my parenting journey. I'm sure things will be interesting with 5 teenagers in the home but right now, having 5 children with 2 at full-time school, 2 in part-time Kinder and a baby (without a toddler) is a lot easier than the extreme parenting experience I had with 4 children under 4 years with them all at home full time. 

So I have been dreaming about these days of having just one baby at home for a long time. It is no coincidence that I waited till the Boys started Kinder to have another. And since the Boys started Kinder 3 weeks ago, there are now 2 days a week (and 3 days every second week) where I have a block of 6 hours with Flynn - just me and my baby boy. And today I had the most wonderful day. After dropping the kids off at school, I decided to get serious about incorporating some fitness into these days so started off with a long walk on the bike track which hugs the edge of the Derwent River. I came across a path which led up to the Bridge so decided to walk over it, something I've never done before, because of the whole baby/toddler thing - too dangerous.


The view was amazing. The Bridge is actually a lot higher than it looks and it was windy there too, so I made it to the top and then quickly snapped this shot before promptly heading back.


It seems strange to have a sign warning you not to walk on the bridge if a large ship is approaching. Define large?


However, this is due to the 1975 disaster when a large tanker hit the bridge and the central portion of the bridge collapsed sending 5 people to their deaths and killing 7 of the tanker's crew. The people in these cars teetering on the edge were incredibly lucky.



We then walked to the Botanical Gardens and had a lovely time strolling around. 



There were some interesting art installations in readiness for the 10 Days On The Island Festival coming up. This one was appropriately named "Gardens Under Siege".



I smelt some Roses, the "Pierre De Ronsard" were to die for.


And with no cries of starvation coming from any of the children or backtracking required for toilet stops, Flynn and I lay under a big old tree for 2 hours. It was absolute bliss.


I admired his newly formed mohawk. His lush crop of dark hair has receded on the sides like an old man and in it's place grows some lovely blonde fuzz.



I admired his chubby little arms and legs and 'elastic-band' wrists. As my Father-in-Law says, he's on good pasture.



I watched him try and co-ordinate his hand to reach his mouth. It took him 20 minutes and lots of attempts.






He was pretty chuffed with himself when he nailed it.


Just before we left, an old couple who had been sitting nearby came over and we had a nice little chat. "Enjoy it, My Dear, you just enjoy it" were her final words. Those words again. Except this time I understood so much more of what that meant. I have a new appreciation of just how fleeting these baby days are. I am loving and enjoying every minute with this little guy. It all goes way too fast.

30 comments :

  1. What a darling boy.
    'Tis a shame you have to have four or five before you really understand that 'enjoy' scenario.
    In hindsight I wish I'd spent more time just enjoying, rather than trying to do three thousand things at once. But hindsight is an amazing thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great day you both had. Beautiful pictures, you let me see a part of the world I will probally never see in person. He is such a cutie. Love the hand coordination pictures. He is a happy baby lots of smiles. Thanks for the reminder to enjoy. I have 4 and sometimes life gets busy and I dont enjoy but reading your blog today made me slow down and enjoy today tHANKS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh such beautiful pictures and such tiny sweet smiles. Love it, xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh love this so much Mel. These are the kind of days I adore also and I had a similar one today, albeit with my 2.5 year old. We took a long walk to the beach, played happily, lapped up the sunshine, then had fish & chips for lunch... all sneakily while big brother was in school.
    The things you say here make so much sense to me now too. I have to say the past 2.5 years have been incredibly difficult for the most part and mainly due to the baby/toddler equation. I finally see there is a lot to be said for leaving a slightly larger gap between siblings. The baby years are most definitely a time to be savoured and enjoyed... it is just very hard when you have a toddler tantruming and demanding around you every waking moment.
    Hope you keep having these lovely little excursions with your beautiful boy. Your photos are divine... and so is your lovely city xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pictures Mel - of the scenery and of your darling little bubba! 4 under 4 - wow! Definitely take the time to enjoy the baby stage - I'm not a mother, but do appreciate how fast babies grow up!

    Sarah xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! I think you are quite amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. greer is right...you are amazing....and inspiring....im getting off my butt today and getting some fresh air! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh Mel, I'm tearing up! how absolutely gorgeous...and what a treasured sentiment that all mothers wished they understood when they do have just one baby at home! But you seem to have found the perfect combination...the wisdom of 'enjoying that time' with flynn whilst your others are learning and exploring their new world! And what remarkable travels you have been on...you are making me very tempted to book a visit to Tassie! Wishing you a splendid day xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come and visit Brenda - would be lovely to meet you :-)

      Delete
  9. Such beautiful photos of Flynn. I wish I had had a digital camera when we had babies. I thought I took a lot of photos back then but
    that was nothing on what I could do now!
    It was such a great idea to walk and enjoy the time with him rather than go home and catch up on housework. The scenery looks beautiful. The second photo is surreal x

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely post ... it reminds me of my time with three under four and the fun I had ... you are so right though ... time goes so fast .. I heard those words alot too and enjoy them I have and shall continue to :) ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Mel, he is the most adorable child! And yes, enjoy it, because suddenly it will all be behind you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. hmmm.. I obviously need to get to the Botanical Gardens and check those art pieces out and smell those roses. Lovely shots. I too have never walked over the bridge, I don't think I can bring myself to do it though (afraid of heights), but at least I know what the view is like now after seeing your photos :) Thanks... Karen (fellow Hobartian)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen, Thanks for your comment. I didn't really think I was scared of heights until I got up to the top of the bridge and looked out - It's really high! Mel x

      Delete
    2. Well, that's definitely sealed it for me, if you weren't afraid of heights before you went up there, then I know I would be cowering on the ground hanging onto the railings :) K

      Delete
  13. Oh Mel, you've made me all teary. What a lovely post. Your day sounds just perfect... a walk, some exploring and relaxing with your precious and ever so adorable baby boy xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your morning sounds so wonderful and these photos are magic! I'm considering sending elliot off to 3 year old kindy a couple of mornings a week later in the year, so that i can have some time with the new baby when he/she arrives. the key is to spend the time wisely like you have done here and not chew up the precious moments doing jobs at home!

    rachel xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a magical day and adorable baby. I always found it tricky trying to get time alone with the older children; with four children close in age,everything seemed to be done as a pack. Now of course I can't believe they've all grown up. Those old ladies were right when they told me time would fly by.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Mel, you gorgeous girl. So much wonderfulness in this post. But Flynn's chuckle just melts me. J x

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely way to spend the day with Flynn; my friend always calls them elastic band wrists with screw on hands! Flynn is looking so cute! x

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a post...you've made me a bit emotional. My youngest starts school in September and I am so conscious that those baby days are done, and not sure how I feel about it either. I'm so glad you are enjoying and making the most of your time with one baby. Flynn is beautiful and looks like a very happy soul. Great photos of him trying to get his hand to his mouth!

    Gillian x

    ReplyDelete
  19. There's nothing cuter than chubby baby legs! Gorgeous little boy and some nice photos of my beloved Hobart!
    Did you crochet the Granny Square rug Flynn is lying on? Granny square rugs are my favourite - really must learn how to make them. Learning how to crochet granny squares and juggle were my 2 New Year's Resolutions so I should get on and start learning both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stella! No, I didn't make this rug but I have made him another one. This one was picked up from the op shop for $3 - the squares are really tiny and it's a perfect size for taking out and about. I reckon granny squares would be easier to learn than juggling - check out Meet Me At Mikes - Granny-A-Day tutorial - it was how I learned and was really easy to follow :-)

      Delete
  20. What a gorgeous baby boy! I agree with the lady, Enjoy each and every moment! They grow so fast and are so soon gone. Hugs to you and yours.

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mel you have such a beautiful way with words. Having that time with just one of your children is such a special time and one that I cherished with each of my girls. I hope you and Flynn get to have more of these little trips together, it looks like a beautiful day out. I love that last happy photo of Flynn what a clever boy finding his hand. xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a timely reminder Mel. With a 4 week old baby boy (yes - the gorgeous Owen James finally arrived in late January) and a bossy pants two year old, I am guilty of racing around the house at break neck speed trying to get things done whenever I have some free time.

    Belated congratulations of the arrival of the very handsome Flynn. It's lovely to hear that he arrived safely and to see that happy chubby face.

    I'm sorry I haven't dropped by in a while. I got sick after my trip to Hobart (it's a long story...) and am only just rejoining the land of the living. Will email you some bump snaps from The Nursery when I have sorted through the jumble of photos on my laptop. Claire (from Canberra).

    ReplyDelete
  23. Aw, he's just so cute. I've never walked over the bridge, but always wanted to. The botanical gardens are my favourite favourite place in Hobart. I can't wait to bring the 50mm lens there next time I'm down south!

    ReplyDelete
  24. He is so, so gorgeous Mel, enjoy every minute. I can still fondly remember my moments with just my girl when her big brother trotted off to kindy. mel x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful post Mel. I feel like I want to jump through the screen and give you a big hug and Master Flynn a squeeze of his lovely chubby thighs, (posts like this just squish my heart!)

    ReplyDelete