Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Finally, a break.




I opened my eyes to this amazing Sunrise this morning and instead of getting up I just stayed in bed and looked out the bedroom window at the view. The Pianoman left for work and the kids finally resorted to getting their own breakfast. I stayed where I was until 9am and only really got up because I was getting hungry.

I realised it was the first day since we arrived home 3 and a half months ago that I didn't have to do anything, go anywhere, or be anywhere. No plans whatsoever. No lunches to make, no school drop-offs. No activities. No sports. No groceries to do. No appointments. No more boxes to unpack. Nothing. I might even surprise the Pianoman and have a day where I don't rearrange a single bit of furniture.

We are finally on School holidays after a very long Term 1 and I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to having a break from the day-to day routine for the next 2 weeks. I may eat my words by the end of the school holidays but for now I'm appreciating having everyone here at home with not a single thing planned. I might even get around to doing a "Settling In Post". Since the big kids started School just 2 days after moving here I really feel like we just jumped right in without a proper settling in period and haven't stopped ever since. We're all a bit exhausted and ready for a break.

For those that don't know, Tasmania is still on a school system consisting of 3 Terms, which I distinctly remember New South Wales ditching in the 80's. We are switching to 4 Terms next year to be in line with the rest of the country. I don't really have an opinion on the 3 or 4 Term thing - it's the same number of learning days regardless. However, as the kids seem to get tired and cranky at the end of a Term, I do wonder whether next year we will be subjected to 4 periods of such crankiness instead of 3. A similar phenomenon seemed to happen on our trip around Australia. Regardless of whether we were driving for 2 hours of 10 hours, the wheels always seemed to fall off in the last 5 minutes of a journey - "When are we there?", "I'm hungry", "Are we there yet?".

So the last couple of weeks have been a bit of a blur with all the end of Term things happening and I literally opened my laptop now thinking it had only been a week since I last posted but it appears I have been a lot slacker than I thought. Please forgive me! I think it's OK to have these unplanned little computer breaks. I actually have lots of news to share but this Post is already long and boring enough so I'll sign off now. I'm looking forward to catching up on all your news.

What have you all been doing? Do you get lovely sunrises or sunsets in your part of the world? Do you love when school holidays come around but then quietly rejoice when the kids go back to School?


7 comments :

  1. I don't blame you for trying to soak up the sunset and more bed time. I breath a big sigh of relief when holidays come around, not to have to rush around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good on you Mel, for taking time to enjoy the sunrise, beautiful! Wow, I had no idea Tassie were under a 3 term school year... like you said, I'm sure it doesn't make much difference either way. Hope you have a lovely well deserved rest (huh, yeah, rest with 4 children!) over this holiday period. A few more sunrises like this one and you'll be right in the swing of having to do absolutely nothing xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel yeah! My "inner goddess" rejoices come school holidays as well and do some cartwheels once school starts! :) Lovely shot! Love sunrise. Signifies hope.

    Just followed you on GFC. :) Hope to get a follow back. Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We still have 3 terms in England. My children get so tired and cranky in the last couple of weeks of term. I'm always ready for the break from the school run and making packed lunches. Then ready to wave them off again as the term wheels start rolling again. It's a bit like the changing seasons. Always ready for the next one. What Beautiful sunrises and sunsets you have in Tasmania. I follow Marian @hazelnigella on instagram. Her photos of your part of the world are just stunning. I hope you had the restful day you anticipated. Although with 4 children I suppose I should say as restful as possible. Take care Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds terrific.
    Enjoy the break from routine - you've certainly earnt it.
    Happy holidays.
    :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so pleased you're finally able to slow down, Mel - it's been a crazy ride for you this year. Just what the doctor ordered, no doubt ☺. J x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Goodness, as a teacher, 3 terms sounds very long and drawn out :) My studentsused to always get so 'ratty' by week 10 of an 11 week term. Hope you enjoy the holidays and the break from routine x

    ReplyDelete